HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 2:12 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Kanata Town Centre developments | U/C

edit: renamed the thread to reflect that there are several Kanata Town Centre buildings posted here

-WW

This is building A:

The proposal from Group Lepine is for the development of Phase 1 of a mixed use project which will eventually consist of four apartment buildings and an amenity building with small-scale commercial uses, including a recreation facility and daycare. The subject property is located in the Kanata Town Center CBD subdivision, on the west and north sides of Maritime Way, south of Canadian Shield Ave. and east of Great Lakes Ave., and is currently undeveloped.

Phase 1 consists of a 10 storey apartment building containing 146 dwelling units, a two-storey, 1,367 square metre amenity building, and 157 parking spaces.

Development docs:
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__7NGKDH

Here's the siteplan:

And here it is on the map:

While there are no high-quality renderings yet, the elevations look pretty uninspired. Hopefully some decent colour and materials will make this a noteworthy project.

Group Lepine also has a small mention of this project on their site, along with some tiny images:
http://www.groupelepine.com/ottawa/n...icle.php?id=36

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Jan 8, 2014 at 10:53 PM. Reason: renamed thread

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 3:59 AM
National Capital Region

Developer eyes Kanata town centre for apartment towers
Lepine plans four buildings on Canadian Shield Avenue
June 24, 2009
BY CHERYL BRINK
http://www.yourkanata.com/KanataKourier/article/14305

The area outlined in black is the site where Groupe Lepine hopes to build four apartment towers and a one-storey mixed-use building, on Canadian Shield Avenue. Courtesy of the City of Ottawa
"We laid the appropriate charges and brought them home to mom and dad."Groupe Lepine is hoping to build four apartment buildings on Canadian Shield Avenue in the next few years.
The developer submitted a site plan to the city last month detailing their goal to construct a mixed-use area at 1001 Canadian Shield Ave., halfway between Highway 417 and Campeau Drive.

Kanata North Coun. Marianne Wilkinson displayed the plans at her ward council meeting on Monday, June 22.

Phase one of Lepine’s project is to build a 10-storey apartment building with 146 units; a two-storey mixed-use building, for a child care centre and small businesses; and 157 parking spaces. Wilkinson said originally the developer didn’t have enough parking, and she fought to ensure there was at least one per unit.

Eventually, the developer wants to put up three more apartment buildings on the same site, once the housing market picks up. Wilkinson said she is pushing to ensure there is a height restriction for all of the buildings of 10 storeys or 37.5 meters, whichever is lower.

Wilkinson said the city wants to see projects with high density like this one, since their recent review of the official plan designated urban land for the next 15 years, instead of the usual 20. Because of that decision, the density target has increased to 34 units per hectare from 28 units.

Comments about the site plan can be sent to city planner Michael Boughton at michael.boughton@ottawa.ca or by calling 613-580-2424, extension 27588.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 2:41 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Here are a couple of larger, though not any better quality, images of this project, care of The Ottawa Construction News, February 2009:

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 4:06 PM
Busy Beaver

The layout reminds me of living in a university residence. I'm half expecting the elevators to reek of stale beer.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 10:32 PM
National Capital Region

Groupe Lepine has a website up for Phase 1..Spring 2011 Occupancy
Project name is Kanata Lakes Apartments
http://www.kanatalakesapartments.com/

Old Posted Jan 25, 2010, 4:07 PM

Plan recycle!

This building is virtually identical the one they built at 411 North River rd a few years back.

A bit different, but not much...

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 11:49 AM

Ho hum... better than nothing I suppose, however some of those soviet-era communist apartment blocks have more character.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 12:59 AM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 1:57 PM

Yikes...no balconies, even?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 7:29 PM

I think the idea here is to give Kanata a bomb shelter...or zombie fortress...

What a nasty building...for the first time I wish I had been paying attention so that I could NIMBY this development.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I think the idea here is to give Kanata a bomb shelter...or zombie fortress...

What a nasty building...for the first time I wish I had been paying attention so that I could NIMBY this development.
Looks ugly outside but from the pics its looks real nice on the inside plus its a rental building which is a plus.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 7:53 PM
Awesome!

Yep that could easily be in the top 5 ugliest outside-looking buildings build in the past 25 years. And there won't be a lot of possibilities to mask it from all angles

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 8:48 PM

Looks like every student housing building here in Waterloo Region.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 8:58 PM

Yup, definitely the concrete bunker look hasn't been seen in new architecture in Ottawa for some time. You'd think something could have been done to add...anything....appealing to the exterior.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 9:02 PM

I should add: In the previous news article, notice the extreme emphasis on building height. Now see what results when height is the only concern of community and its representative.
An ugly 10 storey building is an ugly 10 storey building. Saying 'be glad we brought it down from 20' doesn't do any good when you're still left with an eyesore to look at every day.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 2:00 PM

Despite the outside look for these buildings, the location is good, 5 minute walk from the nearest shopping center, right down the street from the ScotiaBank Place.

Also, it's been very interesting driving past it every week or so and seeing the different phases of the first building put together; I'm sure they'll have the rest done in no time flat.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2011, 4:54 PM

I had the misfortune to be in Kanata on Saturday and drove by this - even worse in person!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 8:23 PM

Wow. I drove past this today. That really is bad. I've said before that I understand we all have different tastes so if I don't like a design, I leave it for others to admire. But I really think if you put 100 people in front of that, you'll get 100% agreement that is ugly. Maybe if they were to be budget rentals? Spare the expense of any sort of design characteristics to keep the rents good and low. But the website says things like "Distinctive Apartments for first class living in the heart of Kanata" and "Premium rentals in prestigious Kanata Lakes". Obviously the marketing folks haven't seen it yet.

I am seriously considering feigning interest and going to the sales centre and then saying "sorry, no longer interested due to severe ugliness".

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 9:57 PM
National Capital Region

Building B, 1025 Canadian Shield coming soon
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__8O4DTL

The purpose of this application is to permit the construction of a 10-storey apartment building comprising 152 residential units. The subject apartment building will be situated on a 0.41 hectare parcel of land, with 103 metres of frontage on Canadian Shield Avenue. The building will have a total gross floor area of approximately 12,103 square metres and will measure 35 metres in height. Parking will be provided through both a two level underground parking garage (194 spaces), and a surface parking lot (14 spaces).

Old Posted Sep 22, 2011, 3:20 AM

Oh great... another ugly building. Just what Ottawa needed... oh wait this is in Kanata!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs