HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 4:39 PM

Having visitors exit the former Greyhound station on Catherine St. was always a bit embarrassing...

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeofthewood View Post
Is Catherine Street still slated to be converted to a complete street? Maybe that will help make this stretch more appealing for foot traffic because it certainly isn't right now.

Somehow even without commercial on the main floor, there is ALWAYS a vehicle idling in front of this building.
That’s usually an ubereats/doordash etc driver making a delivery. Or if the driver is sitting in the car, likely an uber/lyft waiting for a passenger

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTcrawler View Post
That’s usually an ubereats/doordash etc driver making a delivery. Or if the driver is sitting in the car, likely an uber/lyft waiting for a passenger
I think it's time for residential developments to include a couple delivery spots in their parking garage and the police/bylaw to enforce illegal stopping on public streets.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I think it's time for residential developments to include a couple delivery spots in their parking garage and the police/bylaw to enforce illegal stopping on public streets.
Co-sign. It's one thing when vehicles are stopped on local streets, but it's all too common now on arterial streets. Another major offender that jumps to mind is out front of the Gotham building on Lyon.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeofthewood View Post
Co-sign. It's one thing when vehicles are stopped on local streets, but it's all too common now on arterial streets. Another major offender that jumps to mind is out front of the Gotham building on Lyon.
Yep, there are constantly cars parked in the bike lane on Lyon, and there it is particularly dangerous as bikes are forced out into 3 lanes of traffic. It doesn't make sense, as they can easily stop on the side street, but I guess that is marginally less convenient.

There is no doubt that there need to be more drop off zones downtown though. There are entire blocks of office towers like 99 Bank with virtually nowhere to drop anyone off. When my wife wrecked her knee, it was basically impossible to get her close enough to her office for her to walk. I really started to appreciate the plight of the mobility challenged at that point.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
Yep, there are constantly cars parked in the bike lane on Lyon, and there it is particularly dangerous as bikes are forced out into 3 lanes of traffic. It doesn't make sense, as they can easily stop on the side street, but I guess that is marginally less convenient.

There is no doubt that there need to be more drop off zones downtown though. There are entire blocks of office towers like 99 Bank with virtually nowhere to drop anyone off. When my wife wrecked her knee, it was basically impossible to get her close enough to her office for her to walk. I really started to appreciate the plight of the mobility challenged at that point.
Meanwhile City focuses on ticketing cars parked on suburban streets even though it effects no one.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa