HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jul 30, 2024, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Was that a City, or a Regional-era project?
That was the City. It was completed sometime between 2009 and 2012 based on Google Streetview, so we may not even be able to blame Watson for this one. That's an O'Brien era project, ultimately.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4026...5409&entry=ttu

Old Posted Jul 30, 2024, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
That was the City. It was completed sometime between 2009 and 2012 based on Google Streetview, so we may not even be able to blame Watson for this one. That's an O'Brien era project, ultimately.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4026...5409&entry=ttu
2011-12 I believe.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 8:08 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanforest View Post
You know what would make me patronize Bank St businesses even MORE? If I could walk down the sidewalk without having to dodge telephone poles and parking metres and inefficient bike racks and sandwich boards and construction signage EVERY. FIVE. STEPS. Walking down the sidewalk during weekends when it’s busy feels like an Olympic sport, which in turn makes you feel like a second class citizen when gigantic SUVs get to park in a larger area than what’s allotted for the sidewalk, at the expense of everyone else.

Sorry. Rant over.
Walking down Bank st. truly sucks for all the reasons you mentioned. Walking two abreast as normal sized people is a challenge and a half.

It's unfortunate our "main" drag is built in its current form. The updated Rideau st. sidewalks between Sussex and Dalhousie are a massive improvement. Look at some of the old photos of Rideau st. from the 60s/70s when it was a 6 lane arterial.

https://co.pinterest.com/pin/old-ott...9880783870200/

How much time and money was just spend on updating Bank st? This city spends money like a drunken sailor on half baked results and then always cries poor after the fact.

I am a firm believer that getting people out of their cars leads to more business as you walk up and arguably window shop up to your destination.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 1:56 PM

We were really close to getting the same result on Elgin, keeping the hydro polls, but reason prevailed. Unless it's a rural road or ridiculously wide stroad, the standard should always be bury the hydro lines. More space for cyclists and/or pedestrians, better climate resiliency. It saves a whole bunch of money and headaches in the long run.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 7:57 PM

Quote:
We were really close to getting the same result on Elgin, keeping the hydro polls, but reason prevailed. Unless it's a rural road or ridiculously wide stroad, the standard should always be bury the hydro lines. More space for cyclists and/or pedestrians, better climate resiliency. It saves a whole bunch of money and headaches in the long run.
We even burry hydro lines in new build suburbs, we should be striving to at least beat the outer suburbs in urban design on our main streets! If we tear everything up in a integrated renewal project, power should too.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 3:11 AM

Does anyone know anything about this building at 95 Main Street, called Le Marquis? A bit of digging tells me it was constructed in 1970, and a reddit thread from a few years ago claims that it is in fact not abandoned, despite the dilapidated appearance and the overwhelming lack of any sign of life coming from it — even to the point that I haven't seen anyone in it, or enter/exit in the dozens of times I've gone by. I'm sure people live there, but I cannot imagine that it's even close to half occupied. Anyone know what the deal is? Slumlord who isn't interested in keeping units rented?

edit: I've also never seen the businesses on the ground floor open—they truly look abandoned.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 8:03 PM
Living With My Mother

When I was commuting on the 99, 1982-86, the bus would turn at that intersection going east. That building always looked dead in the eyes to me. Brutalist yes. But no life.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2024, 4:42 PM
Busy Beaver

Try calling the number and pretend you're interested in renting

Old Posted Aug 18, 2024, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
When I was commuting on the 99, 1982-86, the bus would turn at that intersection going east. That building always looked dead in the eyes to me. Brutalist yes. But no life.
I remember this building from the 1970's. Many of the tenants were students at Algonquin's 200 Lees campus.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 1:04 PM

That building is so out of place. Truly some of the worse neighbourhood integrations. Of course, they didn't really care back then.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 1:04 PM

New owners Heafey Group, Boless mull residential conversion for Gatineau office tower

David Sali, OBJ
August 19, 2024

In a move that could add hundreds of housing units to downtown Gatineau, the new owners of a prominent office tower in the city’s core say they are looking at turning the building into a residential complex. Gatineau’s Heafey Group and the owners of construction firm Boless acquired the 15-storey property at 200 Sacre-Coeur Blvd. in a joint venture last month from Montreal-based CanPro Investments Ltd. for $18.5 million. Completed in 1973 and retrofitted about a dozen years ago, the 201,979-square-foot building is fully leased to the federal government and serves as a main office for Environment and Climate Change Canada. The government’s lease runs out at the end of 2026, with an option to be extended for an additional year.

While Heafey Group vice-president of legal affairs Steve Heafey said he is “pretty confident” the feds will continue to occupy the property until 2027, he added the building is a “good candidate” to eventually be redeveloped into residential units due to its rectangular shape, which lends itself well to apartments that won’t be too long and narrow. “It’s easier to convert it into a residential building because the units will have the right size. They will not be bowling alleys,” Heafey explained. At the same time, Heafey said the new proprietors are in no rush to send the building’s current tenants packing. “If they want to (extend the lease) more than (the end of 2027), we'll be more than willing to talk to them because they're a good tenant,” he said of the feds. “If they decide to stay there, that’s all good. But if they don’t, then we have option B, which is conversion.”

The site is already zoned for residential use. Heafey said initial estimates suggest the building could accommodate about 200 apartments, which would likely be rental units. Many of the property’s precast exterior concrete panels could be removed to make way for balconies, he said, adding to the building’s appeal. The new owners don’t anticipate there would be any significant construction hurdles during the conversion process, he explained. Heafey cited the building’s prime location near Jacques-Cartier Park and municipal tax credits aimed at spurring more multi-residential construction in the neighbourhood as key factors that influenced the companies’ decision to buy the property. “There’s a lot of development right now being done in that area,” he said. “The City of Gatineau has been very aggressive the past 10, 12 years. They want to densify that area, bring back people to the downtown (core). “When we bought it, (a conversion) was our main objective,” he continued. “But we’re open to (renewing the lease) with the government if that’s what they want. We have time on our side to start planning.” Founded by Gatineau businessman Pierre Heafey in the late 1980s, Heafey Group owns more than $1 billion worth of assets. Its diverse portfolio includes residential, industrial and office properties as well as retail complexes and hotels in Gatineau, Ottawa and Florida. Among the major projects in its ongoing development pipeline are the We, a residential complex on Wellington Street in downtown Gatineau. The firm just started construction of the third phase of the project, a 29-storey, 300-unit apartment building. With a vacancy rate of 1.1 per cent in 2023, Gatineau is one of the country’s tightest rental housing markets. But the average rent for a two-bedroom apartment is still hundreds of dollars below the going rate for similar apartments across the river, driving demand for more new builds, Heafey explained. “It helps us attract more people from Ottawa,” Heafey said of Gatineau’s lower rents. “It’s a good market.” Meanwhile, the firm has a number of projects planned or already on the go in the nation’s capital, including a 193-unit building near St. Laurent Boulevard that is almost complete.

“We have a lot on our plates right now,” Heafey said.

https://obj.ca/new-owners-mull-conve...-office-tower/

Last edited by rocketphish; Aug 20, 2024 at 1:56 PM. Reason: Added full article

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 2:11 PM

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolenottawa View Post
I have never seen a better graphical representation of 80-90s recession in Canada. Wow!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolenottawa View Post

Interesting that Ottawa has a slight showing 1950s and before (Peace Tower, Blackburn, what else?), but nothing in the 1960s (Brooke Claxton, Place de Ville A, B and Delta, 275 Slater).

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 7:39 PM

Quote:

Interesting that Ottawa has a slight showing 1950s and before (Peace Tower, Blackburn, what else?), but nothing in the 1960s (Brooke Claxton, Place de Ville A, B and Delta, 275 Slater).
Cool diagram. The pre-1950 would include many of the "towers" along Sparks and Rideau Streets. Many of the buildings on Sparks like the Hope and Blackburn buildings are from the early 1900s. But now that I'm reading the diagram in more detail, I agree it's weird. A quick look at the SSP database shows that the Peace Tower is the only pre-1950 building on the top 50 tallest. Weird....

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 9:57 PM

I was reading a design brief for a low rise apartment building on Garrison Street in Wellington Village and it references a 6-story planned structure where the Island Park Metro stands today. Is there a thread for this "planned structure" or am I misunderstanding the information?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2024, 11:51 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
I was reading a design brief for a low rise apartment building on Garrison Street in Wellington Village and it references a 6-story planned structure where the Island Park Metro stands today. Is there a thread for this "planned structure" or am I misunderstanding the information?
I believe that they are just depicting the building massing that the current CDP allows, if Mini-Metro and adjacent properties were ever to be redeveloped. And I'm sure that they will be some day... it's a prime parcel.

The Wellington Street Community Design Plan, p.60, has a specific section devoted to this parcel and it's built form requirements.

Welcome to the forum!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa