HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I remember watching a presentation on this master plan a year or 2 ago. They specifically mentioned the need to eliminate left hand turns where ever possible as the average left adds a minute and a half to a route. This route at this junction alone has 2 unnecessary lefts that Columbia. Why not just stay on scurfield and save 3 minutes to the route?
Wouldn't those be left hand turns at three or four way stops which wouldn't cause any delays?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Isn't there a school on Columbia this is servicing?
There is an elementary school at the corner of columbia and scurfield, either road could service this school. Though I don't imagine a lot of families in that area utilize the bus for young children.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
Wouldn't those be left hand turns at three or four way stops which wouldn't cause any delays?
From what I remember it was the average time of left turns. So turning left at a high traffic intersection would be greater then 1:30mins and low traffic less than 1:30mins. Either way remove all unnecessary left turns. During peek child drop off/pick up at the nearby school, delays would increase and cause delays down the line for no good reason.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 5:44 PM

It looks like the whole DMIS system is down...

Quote:
"Server Error in '/dmis' Application.
Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine."

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I remember watching a presentation on this master plan a year or 2 ago. They specifically mentioned the need to eliminate left hand turns where ever possible as the average left adds a minute and a half to a route. This route at this junction alone has 2 unnecessary lefts that Columbia. Why not just stay on scurfield and save 3 minutes to the route?
I think the issue with left hand turns is when you have to wait for a break in traffic to cross. Increased delays, increased unpredictability in when you might get a break, and higher safety risks. The left hand turns in that Whyte Ridge route are all stop-controlled which would mean your delays are roughly the same whether you go straight or turn.Taking that Columbia loop services a bunch more houses as a result.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
I think the issue with left hand turns is when you have to wait for a break in traffic to cross. Increased delays, increased unpredictability in when you might get a break, and higher safety risks. The left hand turns in that Whyte Ridge route are all stop-controlled which would mean your delays are roughly the same whether you go straight or turn.Taking that Columbia loop services a bunch more houses as a result.
I didn't realize it was a stop controlled intersection from the google maps view I saw.

I don't think I agree that it services more houses as it will no longer service the north side of Whyte Ridge. It just makes it very convenient for people living in south WR and not so convenient for people in north WR. If it went straight down Scurfield it would be mildly convenient for everyone in WR.

I imagine some of the decision may be around safety for children. Going down Columbia means the school is on the right rather then the left if you go down Scurfield. This reduces the need to cross the street to catch the bus.

Either way, I guess I'm overthinking it and its impact will be minor.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post

Winnipeg transit finally will service Fort Whyte Alive, beginning September, at the new Buffalo crossing nature Centre on McGillivary near Brady road. They are rerouting the current Whyte Ridge transit route to link it to the Fort Whyte Alive.
You didn't include the route but looks like it's the 691 which provides weekday rush hour service only. Route 650 would still be servicing the north part of Scurfield.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan