HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 7:38 PM

The province is threating to shut down AIM's Moncton scrapyard. The public safety minister is considering suspending or revoking their salvage dealer license. Giving the company until June 14th to address the concerns from the residents and province.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Higgs believes rent increases “will subside” as more rental units continue to come online, which will help to increase the vacancy rate.
Source: https://www.919thebend.ca/2024/06/04...nit-buildings/

So he's hoping new rental units will reduce the rent rates, but is keeping taxes high on developers who will create these new rental units he is hoping for?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 5:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by new kid in town View Post
Source: https://www.919thebend.ca/2024/06/04...nit-buildings/

So he's hoping new rental units will reduce the rent rates, but is keeping taxes high on developers who will create these new rental units he is hoping for?
Yes, just a tad bit of cognitive dissonance there.

I would expect no less from ol' Parsimonious Higgs..........

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 5:52 PM

Plans to convert a home on MacBeath Avenue into a cancer support treatment centre, have cleared another hurdle.

Proposal for cancer support treatment centre passes public hearing

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 12:55 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

From Mayor Dawn Arnold's Facebook page:

Quote:
Big meeting of Moncton City Council today (that was preceded by a Private session [labour & negotiations/government confidentiality]). We began with Planning Matters:

1. An introduction to a rezoning at 1187 Shediac Road (R2 to RM – 4-units)
2. An introduction to a rezoning at 227-229 Cadieux Street (improve and increase neighbourhood park)
3. An introduction to a rezoning at 54 Maplewood Drive (R2 to R3 – 3-storey, 18-units)
4. A public hearing for a rezoning at 166 MacBeath Ave. (R2 to P1 – cancer support centre)
5. Cash in lieu for Veneau Subdivision
This image was included:

I presume this is the project for 1187 Shediac Road. For reference, this is on the NE corner of the Shediac Road/Harrisville Blvd intersection.

The second project, on Maplewood Drive (three storey 18 unit) is just to the east of the Comfort Inn at the foot of Shediac Road.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 6:11 PM

New Renderings Posted Online

Corner of Main Street and Vaughan Harvey Blvd.

(Posted online today by Spitfire). https://www.facebook.com/share/y5HQX...ibextid=WC7FNe

Quote:
"Project Runway: West Gate by Resolute Living

Discover downtown Moncton's newest gem

This stunning 89-unit, 6-storey building, on the corner of Main and Vaughan Harvey Blvd, boasts concrete cast-in-place construction for quiet, cozy living. The modern, spacious 1 and 2 bedroom units were designed with comfort in mind. With underground parking and a prime location, convenience is at your doorstep. This development also boasts 10,000 square feet of customizable commercial space, ready to be tailored to your specific requirements.

Welcome home to unparalleled urban living!

Please contact info@resoluteliving.ca for info on leasing, availability, etc".

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 6:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thanks Erick. I will repost in the [Moncton] Downtown thread.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riberview View Post
Interesting information:

A few building owners are scrambling, seems foundations/pilings were mis-engineered..

An engineer has lost her job over it I hear.
It is very unfortunate for anyone impacted by these structural failures. Some more detail on this: https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...ton-poursuites

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:13 AM

CBC story on Engineer being suspended from practice.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ings-1.7226464

Owners of three buildings suing so far although, you have to wonder if issues will show up in more buildings after inspections?

Not sure how you would even fix lack of sufficient rebar in a foundation.

Last edited by sailor734; Yesterday at 10:36 AM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:27 AM

This issue seems to be around professional malpractice but it raises a larger question.

With rapid pace of construction and problems with labour, skilled trades and supply chain/materiel issues you have to wonder if problems with some of these recent buildings might not start showing up in the years to come?

It might make me hesitate to be a condo owner vs a renter (Shades of Vancouver's rainscreen/leaky condo issues)

Last edited by sailor734; Yesterday at 11:24 AM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
This issue seems to be around professional malpractice but it raises a larger question.

With rapid pace of construction and problems with labour, skilled trades and supply chain/materiel issues you have to wonder if problems with some of these recent buildings might not start showing up in the years to come?

It might make me hesitate to be a condo owner vs a renter (Shades of Vancouver's rainscreen/leaky condo issues)
One of the major challenges is New Brunswick’s incredibly high property tax. To make the financial model work due to the high taxes, some developers likely choose to always go with the lowest cost consultants, materials, etc. Price over quality appears to be catching up with some. However, I also don’t understand how such extensive engineering errors were allowed to proceed, as I believe that almost every step in the construction of a foundation or structure requires evaluation and sign-off by an engineer and I think it may even have to be a third party engineering firm. For example, I think an engineer has to evaluate the onsite rebar design before the concrete is poured.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifyoubuildit View Post
One of the major challenges is New Brunswick’s incredibly high property tax. To make the financial model work due to the high taxes, some developers likely choose to always go with the lowest cost consultants, materials, etc. Price over quality appears to be catching up with some. However, I also don’t understand how such extensive engineering errors were allowed to proceed, as I believe that almost every step in the construction of a foundation or structure requires evaluation and sign-off by an engineer and I think it may even have to be a third party engineering firm. For example, I think an engineer has to evaluate the onsite rebar design before the concrete is poured.
In these cases, as I understand it, it is alleged that it was the professional engineer who screwed up the design. Hence the suspension of license and hearing over malpractice/professional misconduct or whatever the society calls it.

A situation like this would seem to have three possible causes...

1. Faulty or defective materials
2.Contractor screws up either by accident or to cut corners to save money
3. Design flaws

In these cases it is alleged that it is number 3

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:56 AM

delete

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:49 PM

I am pretty sure that first building image in the CBC article is Ekinox in Dieppe - which is a Quest building.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbagger View Post
I am pretty sure that first building image in the CBC article is Ekinox in Dieppe - which is a Quest building.
I thought so too, which is terrible. It's a nice looking building, perfectly located next to the school.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:02 PM

The building pictured in Shediac looks like the one on Veranda Court, behind the A&W called Shediac Bayview Properties

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I thought so too, which is terrible. It's a nice looking building, perfectly located next to the school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbagger View Post
The Ekinox building was the first to be discovered and has since been repaired. Sub contractors onsite have been provided letters from the engineers who fixed the building advising it has been fixed, meets building code and is now safe.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thanks for the update.

Welcome to the forums!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces