HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
YTD murders are trending far below 2019, or any recent year.

But people don't like objective reality anymore. Let's go by feelz.
This is a great explanation IMO:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i wonder if a good part of this crime drop has to do with the drug abusers drugs of choice? these days its all depressants and you see people nodding out and acting like zombies in the worst areas. also, weed is basically legal now, even where it isnt yet. compare that to back in the crackhead era when they were crazy hyper, jumpy and twitchy. obviously there are opposite levels of violence between these drug trends. its more like brave new world with soma nowadays.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 3:46 PM

A huge proportion of U.S. murder rate consists of loosely organized crews, usually young black males, spontaneously killing each other for perceived slights. Often something as simple as a social media diss. I don't think it's directly related to drugs of choice.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 3:59 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ yeah, as I mentioned earlier, drug purveyors (and their related street gang associates) seem to be responsible for the vast bulk of homicides in Chicago, not the end-user drug addicts.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
A huge proportion of U.S. murder rate consists of loosely organized crews, usually young black males, spontaneously killing each other for perceived slights. Often something as simple as a social media diss. I don't think it's directly related to drugs of choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ yeah, as I mentioned earlier, drug purveyors (and their related street gang associates) seem to be responsible for the vast bulk of homicides in Chicago, not the end-user drug addicts.
It would be interesting to have the "murders" data separated in two distinct categories: the murder rate for innocent people, and the murder figures for people who played a role in their own demise.

Most normal people only care about the former. Chicago's on-paper murder rate is only relevant to me as my real odds of getting shot to death while walking down State Street taking pics of early skyscrapers.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Chicago's on-paper murder rate is only relevant to me as my real odds of getting shot to death while walking down State Street taking pics of early skyscrapers.
That's so unlikely to happen that if it did, you would be a statistical anomaly. . . now you might get robbed if you were pegged as a mark - rubbernecking at tall buildings with out any situational awareness - but most people tend to mind their own business even when it comes to tourists. . .

That probably applies to every perceived-to-be dangerous city in America. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 6:07 AM

Youngstown Ohio USA (12)

Population: 59,108

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
It would be interesting to have the "murders" data separated in two distinct categories: the murder rate for innocent people, and the murder figures for people who played a role in their own demise.

Most normal people only care about the former. Chicago's on-paper murder rate is only relevant to me as my real odds of getting shot to death while walking down State Street taking pics of early skyscrapers.
The murder rate is often a good proxy for other crimes. While the chance of you getting randomly murdered is very very low, you getting robbed or otherwise assaulted goes up significantly once you enter a high murder rate area.
Murder rate is a good approx. indicator because statistics get funky for other lesser crimes, as you are comparing different criteria for different departments and states and different attitudes when it comes to reporting.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions