HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyt View Post
The old baptist church in downtown Dartmouth went this route, now called the Sanctuary Arts Centre and seems to be booking a fair number of shows.

https://sanctuaryartscentre.com
That's great to see!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 4:27 PM
Salty Town

Great to see corporate support for historic preservation in Detroit.

Fantastic restoration of the Michigan Central train station by Ford.

A) Corporate support is very important for more than naming rights of venues.
B) Clear demonstration of how a restoration can be done when many would declare this building unsafe and beyond repair.

Michigan Central train station: AP
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/spor...e82b257d&ei=10

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Great to see corporate support for historic preservation in Detroit.

Fantastic restoration of the Michigan Central train station by Ford.

A) Corporate support is very important for more than naming rights of venues.
B) Clear demonstration of how a restoration can be done when many would declare this building unsafe and beyond repair.

Michigan Central train station: AP
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/spor...e82b257d&ei=10
I recall when Ford first announced that it was going to do this. A very impressive effort. Thanks for posting this as I had wondered how it turned out.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 11:38 AM

Yes, it was a herculean effort that apparently has cost $950 million USD to date and of course is not completely done yet as many of the areas just have bare floors and remain unfinished. The restoration work to repair/replace most of the architectural features that were destroyed or stolen by local vandals/scavengers took a big chunk of that sum. It is a shame that the City of Detroit was in such dire financial straits over the decades that they just allowed that to happen. But the city in those years was an awful place to be.

One thing that concerns me here is that it seems it could easily return to being largely unused unless tenants embrace the location, which is very much an open question. The former wasteland around it has been cleaned up and made into parkland but that is a very large building sitting pretty much alone that needs lots of people working in it to be viable. That part of Detroit in general and nearby Michigan Ave. in particular is pretty barren at present. I know Ford stated early on that they would move their EV unit into it but I have to think it would need more than that.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 1:06 PM

That's interesting info, Keith. Clearly repairing the damage caused by deferred (or no) maintenance is an expensive proposition, which I suppose shouldn't be a surprise, since buildings like this would have been very expensive to build in the first place... plus, you have to bring them up to modern standards.

The cycle of boom, bust, and recovery has been an interesting one in Detroit. I haven't followed it much lately but I assume there is still a long way to go.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Yes, it was a herculean effort that apparently has cost $950 million USD to date and of course is not completely done yet as many of the areas just have bare floors and remain unfinished. The restoration work to repair/replace most of the architectural features that were destroyed or stolen by local vandals/scavengers took a big chunk of that sum. It is a shame that the City of Detroit was in such dire financial straits over the decades that they just allowed that to happen. But the city in those years was an awful place to be.

One thing that concerns me here is that it seems it could easily return to being largely unused unless tenants embrace the location, which is very much an open question. The former wasteland around it has been cleaned up and made into parkland but that is a very large building sitting pretty much alone that needs lots of people working in it to be viable. That part of Detroit in general and nearby Michigan Ave. in particular is pretty barren at present. I know Ford stated early on that they would move their EV unit into it but I have to think it would need more than that.
That part of Detroit is actually on the western edge of Corktown, one of the fastest growing neighbourhoods of the city, and the eastern edge of Mexicantown, a pretty intact and fairly vibrant Hispanic neighbourhood. Michigan Ave. has also had a fair amount of investment and new construction over the past few years, so it’s not really barren or desolate, just a work in progress. That whole area will see a major boom in construction over the next few years, one of the brightest parts of Detroit.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
That's interesting info, Keith. Clearly repairing the damage caused by deferred (or no) maintenance is an expensive proposition, which I suppose shouldn't be a surprise, since buildings like this would have been very expensive to build in the first place... plus, you have to bring them up to modern standards.

The cycle of boom, bust, and recovery has been an interesting one in Detroit. I haven't followed it much lately but I assume there is still a long way to go.
The city is currently experiencing a pretty strong renaissance right now, with record construction and investment in DT and many of its neighbourhoods. Property values are skyrocketing, and the city is once again growing for the first time in 70 years according to the census bureau. The level of optimism is absolutely incredible considering how bleak and negative it was for so so long. I’m 59 and have always known Detroit as a great but deeply troubled city. Still lots of work to do, but it has real momentum now, and it shows. The future is very bright for once.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
The city is currently experiencing a pretty strong renaissance right now, with record construction and investment in DT and many of its neighbourhoods. Property values are skyrocketing, and the city is once again growing for the first time in 70 years according to the census bureau. The level of optimism is absolutely incredible considering how bleak and negative it was for so so long. I’m 59 and have always known Detroit as a great but deeply troubled city. Still lots of work to do, but it has real momentum now, and it shows. The future is very bright for once.
Thanks for the info!

For so many decades, Detroit was considered the epicentre of the auto industry in North America and from an architectural and industrial point of view, most impressive. It was almost shocking to see (remotely) how far it had fallen by the 1990s.

In much the same way, it is pleasantly surprising to see its recovery and the return of optimism to the city. The restoration of some of its grand buildings is a great side effect of the city’s resurgence.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
For so many decades, Detroit was considered the epicentre of the auto industry in North America and from an architectural and industrial point of view, most impressive. It was almost shocking to see (remotely) how far it had fallen by the 1990s.
This is the part of Michigan Ave to which I was referring. Thankfully most of the derelict and burned-out buildings have been removed, leaving many empty lots. While the building is very impressive, the area appears less than vibrant. One can only hope the infusion of tenants, if it occurs, will result in supporting businesses arriving to make the area more appealing.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 3:09 PM

Interesting. Revitalization has to start somewhere, so hopefully this will be the spark. It cost Ford a bundle, but I imagine there are intangible benefits in reputation and good will from saving this significant building. Either way, it’s good to see a company do something positive for the community, when the pure business case would probably be to tear it down.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 8:40 PM
Salty Town

It would be really nice if the Armoury Building could be used for some civic purpose like a Time Out Market.

Halifax Armoury: Google
https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.6517343,-63.5877358,3a,75y,104.62h,110.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sa98bv_fGPrRqlCWwsu2KKQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?coh=205409&entry=ttu

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 11:01 PM

Quote:
It would be really nice if the Armoury Building could be used for some civic purpose like a Time Out Market.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.6517343,-63.5877358,3a,75y,104.62h,110.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sa98bv_fGPrRqlCWwsu2KKQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?coh=205409&entry=ttu
The Construction stuff is gone and the Armouries are back supporting the Halifax Rifles and the PLF as well as the HQ for 36 Brigade. Not going anywhere although I see the potential as the space could easily be reconfigured to host a 1500-2000 person performing space.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 12:59 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
The Construction stuff is gone and the Armouries are back supporting the Halifax Rifles and the PLF as well as the HQ for 36 Brigade. Not going anywhere although I see the potential as the space could easily be reconfigured to host a 1500-2000 person performing space.
Maybe a shared space would work. It should retain the esteemed military presence for sure.

Last edited by Empire; Jun 10, 2024 at 1:13 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Maybe a shared space would work. It should retain the esteemed military presence for sure.

The Army does not like to share.There have been big changes in what units used to call the Armouries home. The Artillery unit is now in Bayers Lake. The Service unit and Military police are in Windsor park and Lower Sackville and the engineers are at Shearwater.
The Officers mess had to be moved to Artillery Park after the non commissioned veterans of Afghanistan came home and called out the non volunteering Officers as cowards and professional students . Things got "uncomfortable" for the bloated Officer cadre of the PLF.
The construction activity in the Google picture highlighted the many tens of Millions DND spent refurbishing the West wall as damage from the Halifax explosion was starting to show. The front doors were also enlarged as the Army's rolling gear now is much larger than the Horse drawn apparatus of yester year.Most of the parade square inside the building now houses the TAPV and army Truck fleets of the respective units.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 10:21 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
The Army does not like to share.There have been big changes in what units used to call the Armouries home. The Artillery unit is now in Bayers Lake. The Service unit and Military police are in Windsor park and Lower Sackville and the engineers are at Shearwater.
It's hard to imagine that site being ideal for modern military operations, but it does have a major cultural heritage role and is well located for some kind of civic purpose.

The underused lots along North Park south of the building are unfortunate and I find the residential buildings by the roundabout where it turns into Agricola really unappealing. They do show how much architectural standards have improved over the past couple decades.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The underused lots along North Park south of the building are unfortunate and I find the residential buildings by the roundabout where it turns into Agricola really unappealing. They do show how much architectural standards have improved over the past couple decades.
If memory serves, the one on the west side was the first to be developed and unless I am very much mistaken was one of the early Danny Chedrawe projects. It was hailed as a great leap forward for the area as it was built on the site of a former gas station that was later converted into a drive-in car insurance appraisal facility. The one on the east side was always considered a terrible design. Now both are totally underwhelming.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment