Thread: Art
View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post

Could you please give an example in Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg that is an example of this, because I am at a loss. And why are you arbitrarily excluding Flames Central, who despite having tasteless decor, has done an excellent job of bringing shows in. I agree, we need a large ballroom type space in the inner city, but Mac Hall's location, in the mean time, does not negate it's existance, or the fact it is well used. (I agree, it sucks, but it's not keeping bands away from Calgary.) You seem to have very rigid criteria for "what counts."
Toronto-The Government, Lee's Palace, the Dakota Tavern, Rivioli, The Horseshoe Tavern, the Phoenix, Molson amplitheater just off the top of my head.

Vancouver-The Commodore Ball Room, Richards on Richards. the media club just the ones I've been to.

Winnipeg-I believe it's also called the Phoenix (many years since I was there last) but they do have at least one downtown.

maybe I have it wrong in terms of Flames Central. The reason why I would exclude Flames Central is because first and foremost it is a sports bar, secondly a restaurant, and then probably a place to go see a band. Having not lived in Calgary for a few years, it seems to me there was a hole left in the music scene when the Republik closed, has it ever been filled? Is the Republik open again? Cowboys was able to handle these sorts of events, I'd assume they will be able to again.