View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supai View Post
I think you raise an interesting point.

Even though Calgary has an extensive C train is the C train repsonsible for sprawl or just a response to the sprawl? Certainly Edmonton's south LRT is in response to existing sprawl. The LRT seems to justify the sprawl.
No, it's not responsible for sprawl. Somerset, Bridlewood, Evergreen - and further south in the city limits - Chapparal, as well as Heritage Pointe and the town/bedroom community of Okotoks (that BTW is not officially part of the Calgary CMA) were all growing well before the Somerset/Shawnessy stations were finished just 4 years ago.

The same can be seen in the ever-expanding NW - where the C-train doesn't service yet. Or, the SE which is as deep as the SW where the C-train currently is and west of the city.

As for Okotoks, if people work in the city, they'll usually just take Deerfoot and drive...or take the commuter bus to downtown.

The reason the C-train is so successful now, is more to do with how much parking now costs in downtown...not sure what the average is, but in the Beltline, on an open gravel lot across from the Mustard Seed I can pay $15/day. Right in the core I've paid as much as $28/day...and I think there's one or two charging $32-35/day.

Winnipeg is still cheap for parking downtown, and finding a spot is always relatively easy...so driving is a real option.