View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 3:41 PM

Asper's Stadium Vs Bomber Board of Directors' Stadium

Seating
Asper - 30 000 - 40 000 seats
Bomber - 30 000 seats

Source of Financial Stability for the Bombers
Asper - Retail development along Empress
Bomber - Retail development within and a Hotel (20 Storeys)

Total On-site Parking
Asper - 2000 Stall Parking (2 level Parkade)
Bomber - Can Accomodate up to 1000 guests (Surface and Underground)

Interuptions to Football Seasons
Asper - No
Bomber - ???

Bomber - From renderings, the stadium looks like it will be built in the existing position

Non-Game Day Activities
Asper - Retail/Commercial
Bomber - Retail/Commercial, Hotel functions, and Skating Rink (Winter)

Roof (Though both stadiums are only partially covered)
Asper - Looks like some kind of fabric (Not transparent) --- perhaps taken from the BC Lions' stadium
Bomber - Glass (of amazing strength) - Can view the "prairie sky" as Bomber Board of Directors say

Anticipated "First Kick-off"
Asper - Fall 2008
Bomber - ???

Ownership
Asper - From Public into "his"
Bomber - ??? (Most likely to remain public)

Cost and Funding
Asper - 120 million (40 Feds, 40 Province, 65 Asper)
Bomber - ??? (I would expect it to include public-tax money since the bombers have just recovered from millions of dollars in debt)

Extras
Asper - Bomber "Walk of Fame", overpass to Ness Avenue, Integrated Transit Corridor
Bomber - Giant Television Screens along St. James showing how the teams are warming up for the game

Some Numbers and Figures
Asper - 217 000 sq. ft. retail space (2 floors), 23 000 sq. ft restaurant pad, 13 concession stands, 24 private suites
Bomber - 429 815 sq. ft. retail/office space (4 floors), 594 400 sq. ft. hotel (20 storeys), 40 304 sq. ft. "boxes" (2 storeys)

My Opinion
Mr. Asper has put a lot of work into his proposal, not to mention the cash and his plan has fewer ??? in comparision to the Bomber Board of Directors' Plan. The BBOD don't really have not released any dates or sources of funding/ cost figures. However, both plans have cool ideas. I really like the "walk of fame" and the winter ice rink. I'm not really in favour of a 20 storey hotel at the stadium, but apprecitate the commercial development. Seems as though the BBOD traded on site parking for that hotel and larger commercial/retail spaces. Both materials in the roof have pros and cons. The glass gives the stadium openness but not shade and vice versa for the Asper's roof. As for overall design/appeal....I'd say I would have to go with Asper's, it looks more modern. If I missed any important comparision, feel free to add on.

Information taken from www.blueandgold.ca and http://www.bluebombers.com/