View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
One of the designs that didn't make it...

[/b]
-
I would have been really satisfied with the design. I can't wait to be standing in Central Park, looking at the classic 59th street buildings being loomed over by these 1000+ trophy skyscrapers. The guy who designed the Birds Nest stadium in Beijing is the architect that was selected for this job. I've looked at his work, and the man can make a parking garage look awesome, but I didn't see that he had designed skyscrapers before. If he hasn't, then I hope his skill transitions well to the vertical.

Man oh man, this is exactly what Midtown needed. I remember picking up a friend (a former Chicago resident who had never been to NYC) from JFK and then driving him to an event we were both attending. Once we got on the BQE and headed North he was certainly impressed, and immediately admitted that Midtown was bigger and more grandiose than the loop, but he noted that all of the buildings seem to be around the same height (the plateau that is oft-mentioned here). I totally agreed with him, and have always been of the opinion that Midtown needed a few super-talls rising above the rest of the pack.