View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 8:45 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub1170 View Post
It will probably take away a few concerts that the MTS usually gets. You'll have to head down the Number 1 for the big events because they may just bypass Winnipeg for a better venue.
Highly unlikely.
With a domed stadium there are no guarantees of attracting certain shows just because it's winter. Most of the big acts do their touring in the summer anyway but what's more important is the market. Regina only makes sense for bands like The Rolling Stones and AC/DC. The reason for this is because these are world-class acts with actual 'world' tours. Bands like that will only make so many stops in any given country and because of that , most of the audience is not going to be from the host-city anyway. In that case , it makes as much sense to choose a venue in the middle of Saskatchewan as it does to put it in Lethbridge or Brandon. Everybody is making a trip to attend anyway.
Successful but not actually "world" class acts just don't need forty thousand seats but if they do , Regina won't usually make the cut over Winnipeg. It has little to do with the facility in either case but Winnipeg has a new , proven venue in the MTS Center so to compete against that would require something considerably better in Regina. It's just simple demographics at that point....Regina is less than a third the size of Winnipeg and the Regina hinterland has even fewer people by comparison.

None of this is to be taken as a "Regina's not good enough" statement. On the contrary , I very much hope that Regina gets a great facility whether it be a dome or otherwise. It could be successful , I'm not saying it can't be. I'm just saying that considering the market , the climate , and every other factor that I can think of , it just doesn't seem like a financially viable idea. I wouldn't invest in it not because it's in Regina (I wouldn't invest in a dome for Winnipeg either) but because it would cost a fortune just to maintain and posting in the black at the end of the year seems like a pipe-dream.