View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 1:58 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

What should Canada's response be to the terrorist attack in Ottawa?

I'm curious what you all think. The shock has worn off enough to discuss things in a more political way - but the thread in the Canada section certainly isn't an appropriate place.

I haven't yet watched the full remarks from Harper, Trudeau, and the NDP guy - so I don't trust the one-line summaries from the media. But it appears Harper is "fight terror", Trudeau is perfect platitudes, and the other guy is the most realistic, with the right platitudes but without the Bush-style "fucking for virginity" BS.

Anyone know if that's accurate?

So, what's next? What happens?

If the federation takes another lurch to the right, I might lose my mind. Can you imagine something like the Patriot Act here? We're not that afraid of reality or gullible, I think, so I hope it won't be so bad... but governments always try to weasel shit by in situations like this.

MonkeyRonin or MolsonExport posted a link to a story about Harper saying we need better laws for police surveillance. That's fine, if that's all it is. But... I wouldn't be surprised if they take the chance to erode net neutrality or whatever else. I wouldn't trust this government for a second.

What do you lot think?