View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 10:29 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I haven't seen the detailed historic analysis of the Hudson Bay building. I suspect the core part of it is preserving only the facade. If that is the case it really opens up the site to something like the RRC Exchange campus where the existing facade is basically bolted onto an otherwise brand new building.

That makes me wonder what the cost of facade transplant + full demo of existing building + construction of new building would be v the "donut proposal".
It's a reinforced concrete structure - so unless there is a reason that the existing floor heights don't work, or the structure is in poor shape - I would think the "donut" option would be orders of magnitude cheaper than a demo and rebuild that would require the existing exterior walls to remain in place.

A "donut" scenario could be as simple as simply selectively removing a section of the interior without much additional major structural alterations required, provided the new walls that face the resulting courtyard are relatively light.