Thread: LEGO Skylines
View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 9:21 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
It'll be easier to keep clean also. Fewer nooks and crannies for dust to hide.

Do you have any photos or 3D images of the baseplate construction? I've just been using the big 15x15 plates for my models, but I'm wanting something different as I expand it. I've seen some people using bricks to create a base, but that raises the height, which gets into clearance issues for my shelves. I also like the idea of having them be separate to make construction easier.
Sure, here's a few steps of the base for 432 Park Ave. They're sorta hard to see here but you can view the full size images in my Flickr photostream. I linked to the first in the series, just click the right arrow to go to the rest.

That's how I build up all of my bases for these models - 2x? on the bottom two layers, larger plates for the third layer, then the fourth layer is the 'ground' layer on top of which the building itself sits - the ground layer is usually made up of smaller tiles for the smooth ground and plates anywhere that other parts attach to the base but this three-high structure also allows for some more creative techniques, if need be, for modified plates with clips, hinges, etc at any of the lower layers. This seems to be the standard for many architecture sets - or at least the new Empire State Building model that I'm hoping LEGO continues to use for future sets at the same scale.

Last edited by Doctor Octoroc; Apr 28, 2020 at 5:10 AM.