View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 9:29 PM
James

First look: Sundt Construction begins work on $45M Broadway Street reconstruction downtown

By Mitchell Parton – Reporter, San Antonio Business Journal
Aug 6, 2020, 8:22am CDT Updated Aug 6, 2020, 9:01am CDT
A $45 million effort to rebuild central portions of Broadway Street is now underway.
Sundt Construction Inc., based in Tempe, Arizona, said Wednesday that it has started utility work on the first phase of the city bond-funded project. The current portion spans from East Houston Street to I-35.
“We’re excited to continue Sundt’s role in reshaping downtown San Antonio,” Jim O’Reilly, project manager for Sundt, said in a news release. “This project presents some unique obstacles, but our team is up for the challenge.”
The $45 million project includes a complete renovation of the street, including curbs, sidewalks, driveway approaches, traffic signals and drainage improvements. The rehabilitation also includes landscaping, lighting, stormwater runoff management and underground utility upgrades. Completion of this phase is estimated for the fall of 2024.
Los Angeles-based engineering firm AECOM and local landscape architecture firm MP Studio designed the project.
The full scope of improvements to Broadway Street consists of three segments: Houston Street to I-35, I-35 to Mulberry Avenue and Mulberry Avenue to Burr Road. The total project cost across all phases has been appropriated $61 million by the city, with $42 million from the 2017 bond program. Additional funding sources include $6 million from a tax increment reinvestment zone, $6.6 million from San Antonio Water System and $2.8 million from CPS Energy.
Construction firms have not been chosen for the additional portions beyond I-35, which will be done through a bid process, but local firm Pape-Dawson Engineers Inc. has been chosen to provide engineering design services.
Also downtown, Sundt is currently working on the San Pedro Creek Improvements, Canopy by Hilton Downtown San Antonio and just completed construction on the CPS Energy headquarters renovations.