View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 10:38 PM

Over the weekend, I bought a book called "Cities: The First 6,000 Years."

Apparently, cities have only (hehe) been around for 6,000 years. The author of the book is an archaeologist who teaches at UCLA.

The premise of the book basically is, "Why cities?" Are they a natural step in human settlement's evolution, or are they the result or a response to something else?

So, if I could time travel and be invisible, I would love to see ancient cities, like Tenochtitlan, or the beginnings of current huge modern cities, like Tokyo or Rome. I would also love to see what the Los Angeles region was like prior to the Spanish establishing the little Pueblo of Los Angeles, when what is now LA County was populated by several small Tongva/Kizh villages.

I would love to look at several eras of one place, and see how the city/cities evolved, from its formation, to where it is today, or possibly even its abandonment. That would all be so fascinating to me, to see how humans as a species, used to live prior to 6,000 years ago, before cities existed.

~ Charles Bukowski