View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 10:29 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by davequanbury View Post
Actually he said this:

"There is nothing wrong with investment, but profit without people is just exploitation. Portage Place is our place and shouldn’t become something it isn’t.

and this:

"Portage Place is about more than profit. It’s a place of accessibility – and one of the only such places left in our city. It’s well known that when public spaces are reduced, social problems and conflicts increase. If a community gives people no place to go, they make spaces anyways – sometimes forcibly and unexpectedly.

When Portage Place changes, it shouldn’t lose its best parts. It is Winnipeg itself."

and this:

"Downtown apartments are fine, but these shouldn’t come at the cost of tossing people on the streets. High-end businesses are also fine, but not at the cost of marginalizing people who can’t afford them. And, of course, people who can pay high rates for space is fine, but let’s not forget the public in public space."

Sounds pretty reasonable to me
I understand his statements as "I would assume that Portage Place will no longer be a public space, even though the sale is still in progress, and the development plan is not even there yet." It seems that the article tries to stir public emotions even before any official announcements or plans are in place.

I'd say adding 2 student housing or whatever they will become will actually boost the "public" nature of the area.