View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
First off, hats off to Lorendoc, who identified the same spot while I was still busy formulating my own post about it!

Great sleuthing! You are correct. The photo was taken just one block east of the Bekins building. It looks north on Orlando to Santa Monica Blvd, and the buildings in the photo are still there. Here is the old photo that I have marked to demonstrate:

ebay/marked by me

The distinctive roofline in the circle is still there today on what I will call building 1. The buildings I have marked as 2 and 3 are also there, but are disguised - an exterior remodel has integrated buildings 2 and 3 as well as the leftmost segment of building 1. Here is today's street view, with the same roofline feature circled and buildings 2 and 3 marked again:

Google Street View

Although buildings 2 and 3 (and the left end of building 1) appear to have been replaced, an aerial view tells a different story. I flipped around the Google Maps view to look southbound, and the back side of the modern roofline is visible:

Google Maps

Here on the roof it becomes very clear that the block is still divided into 3 buildings just like the old photo. The stepped roofline of building 2 is still visible behind the remodel, as is the old roofline of building 3 which drops down at both sides.
Using Bing maps aerial view, you can see that the Bekins Bldg. still stands at the ne corner of Santa Monica and Oliver just to the end of the row shown above. It is now covered in plain white exterior of some sort, but the shape and windows are definitely the Bekins Bldg.