View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 5:37 PM

Grocery Store Downtown

Now I know you were expecting some news or plans to be posted, and I'm doing this as a discussion nudge, but we have discussed here before, and some question what should come first; the grocery store or the residents? One thing most of us agree on is the fact that Downtown should be more walkable and needs improvements on many fronts.

With about 60 or so (unsold) units at Vidorra waiting to be filled, 250 apartments at Vistana, 240 or so units at Durango Phase/Victoria Commons underway and set for completion early next year (perfect timing for BRAC by the way,) St. B's condos, Judson Lofts, etc., etc., it is safe to say that the amount of residents DT can only increase.

Here is an interesting article I found that brings up the grocery store as a lure to residents to move in that area.

I know this is not comparing oranges to oranges, I know.. but while this is definitely different demographics and location, it does have similarities with our downtown.
  1. High worker population/low resident #s
  2. Anticipation of a major project; theirs is the extension of the Metro to Dulles through Tyson's, ours is River North with the possibility of Mass Transit as well.
  3. Lack of a walkable grocery store.

Just thought I would bring up the subject again, now that Vidorra/Vistana are open for business and even in small numbers, the demand for resident services has to be there.
Another article here this one about a downtown.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925