View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 10:01 PM

My take on this building ... no, it is not a breakthrough design ... it is rather conservative, yes it benefits from both its location and its size .... but it is being done to absolute perfection. It's kinda like what the Japanese have done with all the widgets invented in other countries.

This building is magnificent in how it complements its surroundings and I am just amazed at how it reflects the mood of the environment.

I also believe this building will stand the test of time. I don't know that people looking at this building 40 years from now will be able to categorize it as a style that is representative of buildings built just after the turn of this century ... unless it is a victim of copycats (including Trump himself). Now, that can be good or bad. I personally have an affinity for building from the 20's and 30's but 80's style buildings are just ... yuck.

Even if you could identify it for a particular style or time period, being the biggest and the best is not a bad thing and may just qualify it for iconic status. Remember that there are 3 Empire State Buildings ... the big one that everybody knows about and then two mini-me versions (obviously not name ESB) by the same architect.