View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post

L.A. is the least Chinese/Indian dominated and is the most "balanced" in terms of nationalities, but really underperforms in terms of Indians/South Asians
That statement is funny to me because that is not my experience where I live in LA County. I'm not doubting whatever the numbers are, but I guess because I grew up in Cerritos where Indians seem almost ubiquitous (I went to school with a lot of Indians, and some Sri Lankans too), especially in the Little India area of the neighboring city of Artesia. Plus you see Hindu temples and gurdwaras in the area, and there's even a Jain temple in nearby Buena Park... I figure when you start seeing an ethnicity's religious places, they are definitely established in the area. And where I live now in the Pasadena area where you see plenty of Indians, especially in the area near Caltech, and there's even a Ma Durga temple in Pasadena, and plus of course the SGV in general is very Chinese, and there's the huge Hsi Lai Buddhist temple...

So to say that LA is the least Chinese/Indian dominated is almost laughable to me. But that's just my subjective experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
For what it’s worth, LA CSA had the largest Sri Lankan population as of the 2012 ACS... don’t know if there are more recent estimates for CSAs. LA’s “underperformance” in the South Asian “category” really only applies to Indian, and to a lesser extent Pakistani (but they don’t have a terribly large presence in the US, and only NYC has a relatively sizable presence).

Turning the tables, NYC CSA has a very poor representation of Southeast Asian groups across the board. Even Chicago has greater percentages of the two main groups (Filipino and Vietnamese).

And the Bay Area’s Korean population (a major East Asian ethnic group) being as small as it is is almost as odd as LA’s poor showing of Indians.
Mmm... Sri Lankan food. Yes, many Sri Lankans in the LA area, and like I said above, I went to school with a number of them when I was growing up.

Interestingly, the city of LA also has an official "Little Bangladesh" neighborhood.

~ Charles Bukowski