View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimshady View Post
I think people are underestimating how a stadium could negatively affect the community. As a student at the University of Pittsburgh I am used to traveling to Heinz Field for games. Pitt gets school busses to get some students there but most people take public transit. That's a bus and Pittsburgh's excuse for a subway, 2 seats but it works fine. Temple students get a direct one seat ride to the stadium.

I am glad it as Heinz Field, as I am glad Temple games are at the Linc. As much as I love tailgating I would not want to have that in my backyard, especially if I'm not a student. Thousands of drunk college students on a Saturday morning will be a huge nussiance to the neighbors who already have to deal with it during Friday and Saturday night.

I understand Temple's need to grow out of the commuter school that is currently happening but I do not think a stadium is the best way to do so. The playground there is heavily used by local residents that will lose there green space which in an area as urban as North Philadelphia is highly sought after. Especially when that one is well lit by Temple and parks and basketball courts nearby may be in worse condition and less safe sections.

The only way that this stadium can be successful and I hope its not built is if there is huge community involvement and that the community can use it whenever they please. I really don't understand why the Eagles can be allowed to charge so much if the City of Philadelphia owns it and it received state subsidies to build and Temple is a state school. There are plenty of other things that Temple can do to grow and create a campus feel (although its a city not a campus in the middle of nowhere so I'm not sure why they want this "campus" feel) without a stadium that will displace people, such as housing or educational buildings.
The Steelers are much more conciliatory towards Pitt and gave them a sweetheart deal. I wish the Eagles would behave similarily.