View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
I took a bus downtown from a Rush game last year. (we carpooled there and got dropped off at the Tim's to avoid the crush.) It was pretty quick leaving the rink and only jammed up because of all the other people who were trying to get downtown in their single occupancy vehicles. The buses were full, and we could have a beer or two at the game knowing we didn't have to drive. I also take buses from the Ex when we decide to go.

I drive a lot but it's only because of the infrastructure - I can't afford to live on a good bus route for me or near my work (I work in the north industrial). With the slow down in the economy I can drive to work across the circle north bridge in less than 15 minutes now, compared to 25 in 2012-14. Still an hour on the bus, though. I'm mid 30s and there are lots of people in my cohort who would change their habits if there was better infrastructure to support it.

the 2 times i took the bus to north end canarama- eastview....took 50 minutes. which took way too long for a usual 15 minute drive. I can ride my bike using our trail system and get that distance in the same amount of time without the waiting period. ill take the bike ride anyway, its more fun anyways.

so for me, the issue is standing there and waiting. i think thats the same for everyone else too? will the BRT change that mindset much ? i know not for me.....

I was talking to my sisters bf over easter, we both came to a conclusion that if we were to make a switch in transit areas, and get people onto something different, something would have to stop us dead in our tracks in to make a good portion of us use an alternative transit solution.

speaking of biking, if people actually knew how easy and quick it was to bike around, i think they would use that option as well. we have an excellent trail system thats fun to ride too!