View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I would hate to live in your bend world of modern trasportation.. but in the case of servicing the massive industry of transportation and distribution a little LRT won't cut it... and a having a BRT line will do little to nothing to enhance ridership. I think they figured it would cut up to 4-5 minutes off the trip from downtown to the University.

Sure it would make a few hundred students happy, but I would put a much higher priority on enhancing Winnipeg's roadway inhancement for the purpose of increasing efficiency of the roads, as a means to build Winnipeg's position as a transportation hub. In the end I am sure this is the direction which willbe followed as there is increased interest in cargo distribution investment in the city .. but Winnipeg needs to modernize its infrastructure. Winnipeg is turning towards attracting this type of investment, as can no longer sit idlly by and watch opportunities walk by, as it has been for far too long. Winnipeg has finally put its economic growth and investment growth at a higher priority than glossy brochure mega projects. I couldn't be happier as it will pay huge dividends for the city and province.

Out of couriousity what is the funding breakdown of Calgary's new LRT expansion?
Building an underpass at Waverley isn't going to make Winnipeg a transportation hub. Traffic on Waverley is increasingly single vehicle occupant cars. It will serve residential neighbourhoods, not commercial routes. These are two separate issues, LRT/BRT vs. commercial traffic. Does anyone in the world build an LRT to enhance cargo transportation? Obviously not.

By the way I specifically wrote light rail, so don't go throwing BRT into the mix. That was your comment not mine.