View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 10:01 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Here are some more quotes from the article Alice posted.

Quote:
CPS Energy has assembled a seven-member advisory group to develop a strategy for the possible relocation of its downtown headquarters. But in its search for a new home, the utility wants to remain in the urban core.

The advisory group will work with CPS management and commercial real-estate consultant Cassidy Turley to craft a request for proposals that the utility is looking to issue in coming months. The team is expected to meet for the first time next week to start drafting a long-term plan for its current facility, utility CEO Doyle Beneby said Tuesday.

While Beneby said he wants to consider all options, he was adamant about keeping the utility's home in the center city.

“Typically in major cities, (utility) headquarters are typically in the urban core,” Beneby said to the San Antonio Express-News Editorial Board. “So, I don't think we should be any different. But that's our preference, obviously. But certainly, I think, suburbia is off the table.

“If we can ultimately make the best economic decision, in terms of our modeling, and at the same time ... help the urban core, I kind of feel we should do that if we can.”

Beneby expects at least four scenarios coming from the advisory group. The utility could stay in its riverfront location at 145 Navarro St.; it could move into an existing building in the downtown area; CPS could build a building; or a development firm could construct a building that the city-owned utility would lease.

“It has to make economic sense,” he said. “But beyond that, I am certainly trying to let the process arrive at the best decision.”

If the utility chooses to move, it would open up a prime space along the River Walk for redevelopment, potentially putting million of dollars of property back on the tax rolls. CPS hasn't revealed how much it believes the property is worth, but two nearby hotels — the Hotel Contessa and the Westin Riverwalk — are assessed at $33 million and $65 million, respectively, according to the Bexar appraisal District.