View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
All big cities/metros will be self-absorbed, though. But the PA side of the Philly suburbs have way more population than the NJ side. In NY metro, the NJ side is the biggest concentration of population in the metro area, hence why New Jersey gets so much attention around here. I think NYC is the only city besides DC where a majority of the suburban residents live in another state.
True. And I'm just saying that Philadelphia (and its suburbs) are more strongly influenced by and more close culturally ("culturally speaking", as Cirrus stated to start the thread) with an outside state and city/metro (in this case NJ and NYC) than by its own state of PA.

The fact is, most of Pennsylvania has very little influence on Philadelphia culturally and Philadelphia does not shape the culture of most of Pennsylvania. Like I said at the beginning, it's akin to NYC with New York state on a smaller scale.

NYC area is its own self-absorbed thing in NY, like Philly is to a smaller extent in PA. But NYC/NJ has no superior nearby to exert much cultural influence on it... Philly on the other hand obviously does with NYC/NJ being that superior and Philly feels the effects of the nation's lone true alpha strongly.

Last edited by pj3000; Feb 24, 2024 at 5:01 AM.