View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 10:39 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I watched the Bexar County Commissioners Court today and they were dicussing River North.

Here are some of the stuff they talked about:
  • Street car would start at Convention center and end at Pearl brewery with a line split between the two. With hopes of extending lines to the north and south. North to Hildebrand or further to "Up Up Broadway." First time I heard that term. South to Southtown and SoFlo and eventually to some of the Missions.

• Light rail may eventually be involved some how.

• The idea of River North is to not be an extension of downtown but for it to be it's own area with its own identity and vibe. One of the examples was they didn't want high rise hotels along the Riverwalk like downtown and instead develop the river bank area for the residents.

• Transportation via the River will happen. It will be an alternative to street car.

Not related to River North.

There was talk of a 10-story building planned for the south downtown area near the Bexar county courthouse. I'm not sure exactly what it's going to be because the way they talked about it was very vague.

They were talking to the someone with the downtown alliance about reshaping all of downtown not just the River north area. And then Wolff started saying that the area of south downtown "where we are" is definitely taking off. He then mentioned the federal government possibly moving into the area (the new federal courthouse is proposed for the current police HQ which is like a block from County courthouse) and that a 10-story building is under construction. That was basically it.

I'm guessing that 10 story could be the new Police/Fire fighter HQ building.
great insights...

i cannot wait to hear more about light rail. wolff has been quoted saying that the time to revive that is now.