View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 4:32 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Are you certain there's just 1 core? This is one of the largest footprint buildings in the city - massive. I find it hard to believe there's just one core here.
Not completely. It's been a very long time since the last time I wandered around inside that building.

But based on my interpretation of the space (its previous uses were industrial and warehousing, remember), I am fairly certain that it would have had a single core in the middle, across the main floor from where the ramps are (i.e. the whale mural). I'd also add that the ramps themselves add a second vertical distribution element, which appears to have been more than enough to handle internal freight moves.

Anyway.

The big problem is the leviathan slab massing. I don't necessarily see a problem with blocklong structures (example); the problem is when they're freaking slabs. A series of wings linked by a central horizontal passage would be a much more successful massing IMO.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)