Thread: Winnipeg Ice
View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 3:50 PM

Interesting tidbit from Rod Pedersen's blog:

"The buzz in the Dub is that the suits aren’t pleased no shovel is in the ground for a new arena in Winnipeg, despite the fact it was promised when the ICE moved from Cranbrook, BC."

At this point even if they started building today it would mean at least one more full season at Wayne Fleming. But as we have heard here, there is no indication that this is imminent. It could easily be two more years at the U of M, maybe more.

I wonder if the team is looking at any alternate solutions? Maybe ponying up to rent Bell MTS Place and putting off the new rink for a few years? They need more seats... I just don't see how they can make it with a cap of 1,600 at Wayne Fleming. By contrast, there were over 9,000 fans at the ICE's game at Rogers Place in Edmonton on Saturday. But then, are there even 9,000 people in Winnipeg who are prepared to buy tickets to an ICE game? Hard to say.

Also, I finally went to The Rink last week... the main arena where the Blues play can apparently hold 700 plus standing room. It's too bad they didn't jam in another 500 seats or so in there and just have the ICE play in there until a permanent home could be built. Then they wouldn't be paying rent on a rink that is only marginally bigger (and a lot dumpier) than one that they could have played in.

The whole situation is just so weird... it frankly doesn't bode well for the team's long-term prospects here. But at least the team is really good and fun to watch right now.

Last edited by esquire; Feb 3, 2020 at 4:01 PM.