View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 6:42 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
His name or not, personally I agree with him. Public funds should not be used to build a new stadium for a private team, especially when it's only for a AAA team.

Major League team, we can talk. Minors, no way.
I also agree that public funds shouldn't be used for corporate profit. I didn't make that clear. My bad. I was only stating that while it may legally and therefore justifiably be his place to make such a statement (with which I happen to agree) there is also a conflict of interest. It's a gray area situation. But yes, I do agree with him... and you.

I imagine most people on this forum aren't old enough to remember the Alamodome funding brewhaha. City figures (including Henry Cisneros, Red McCombs and Nelson Wolff) and many other corporate figures alike all pushed for an increase in the Via (bus) tax to finance the Alamodome with the promise that it would help land an NFL team in San Antonio. Citizens voted in favor of the tax increase instead of asking an NFL that might be interested to pay for the construction themselves. Well, the dome got built, no team came to San Antonio and while the stadium has been used in many ways, it certainly didn't hold up to the promise that people made when they pushed for the public to finance what should have been a private venture. Maybe Wolff is thinking back to that in deciding his opinion about the baseball stadium. Who knows?