View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 5:28 AM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
Preferably programs where I'd get my license in 5 years.
Doesn't work that way. ALL states require a minimum of 8 years combined schooling and work to get a license. You CAN begin taking the ARE exams after 5 years in some states however. Also, some states have additional examinations beyond NCARB's 8 ARE divisions (such as California's Supplemental Oral Examination).

I'd highly recommend Pratt or RISD. Cooper Union (if you can get in) is highly theoretical (far too much for my tastes). Can't remember who is dean there now.

UT-Austin and Rice have the best reputations in Texas, but I think John R from Ft.Worth went to UT-Arlington so maybe he can help you there.

There are lots of good schools out there and lots of so-so schools (I went to one of the latter: Arizona State). Point being, as long as the program is NAAB accredited, you should get at least a fundamental set of skills. Also, it does make a difference whether or not you go to a 4+2 school or a 5 yr school. 4+2 schools tend to be more theoretical and 5 yr more work oriented.

For something totally different (and if you'd like to get paid while you go), look at Boston Architectural Center. It takes 7+ years, but you work as part of your program and can sit all the exams once you graduate (no waiting for licensure).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands
best architecture schools:

yale
mit
harvard
iit
caltech
columbia
rice
Caltech? They don't even have a program.