View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
They look fine to me... seems like they accomplish the goal of providing cover over the stairwells without blocking sightlines to the buildings beyond.

I can't speak to the condition of the one at State/Harrison, but I'm surprised at how well the bus shelters on Loop Link are doing. No design will stay immaculate on the tough conditions of Chicago's streets but these seem to be holding up.

Also, these new Blue Line shelters are definitely not a perfect fit, but a lot less of a stylistic contrast with the moderne design of the station platforms and mezzanines than the faux-Victorian shelters CTA used on the Red Line and on the Blue Line at Jackson/LaSalle. Maybe CTA finally figured out they already have stylish 1940s designs on the subway system that just need to be brought into the 21st century.
From a style standpoint I have to agree this is an improvement over recent CTA work, also functionally much better than the open stairwells that presently exist. Time will tell how the glass holds up but even if it has to be replaced every 10 or 15 years there isn't an enormous amount of it.