View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 1:32 AM

Dang, you beat me to it by 25 minutes. Glad to see there's another forumer with nothing to do on Friday night

Not sure if there's a functional difference between "consolidated statistical area" and "combined statistical area", which currently describes two or more metro or micro areas with 20% or greater commuter interchange, but if the two metros are working together a 15% interchange would be enough to combine them under the OMB.

I never really thought this was likely, given that San Francisco/Sacramento and Tampa/Orlando are about the same distance apart and not combined, but I could see it working given the distribution of cities along the I-35 corridor making it easy to commute from metro to metro, if not necessarily central city to central city. The 15% threshold doesn't have to be Bexar to Travis, it could just be Comal or Guadalupe to Hays or vice-versa in order to count.

This would be huge for both areas, lifting them from two disparate mid-size metros to the 7th largest statistical area in the southern U.S.