View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
EVERY foot of every ground floor in any urban residential neighborhood is a prime candidate for retail. Walk just about anywhere in New York City and you'll see every retail space filled with a store, a diner, a restaurant, a doctor's office... you name it. Not including ground level retail is a wasted opportunity. If I lived in that building I'd love to have a diner I could visit for breakfast or a midnight dinner. Retail makes the neighborhood. When will they learn?
They already know that retail makes the neighborhood. Silver Ventures knows that better than any developer in San Antonio.

Unfortunately, every square foot of ground level space is not a prime candidate. As great as Pearl is and as dense as it's future could be, the density right now is nowhere near NY, Boston, or any major European city. Those are bad comparisons. There are tons of variables including transit connectivity, pedestrian counts, age of the structures, disposable income, etc. that influence when and what kind of retail makes sense.

Silver Ventures has been the most aggressive developer of urban retail in the city. If they chose not to do it, there's a good market-based reason.