View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 26, 2015, 2:06 PM

I think its partially the bars in the area wanting to be something they're not.

When the Palladium became the Stratosphere, they spent a lot of money on renovations and opened as a "higher end" bar with more expensive prices, chasing the downtown crowd. It lasted about six months and then struggled for a year. Then it switched to The Lid just about overnight, dropped prices and embraced the University crowd and was packed again.

I was in Reset last weekend on a saturday and the only people in there were clearly University-type kids in hoodies and jeans. No one was dancing to the annoying techno crap being spun by a "DJ". Plug in an iPod playing top 100, mainstream dance and a few country hits and they'd be dancing. But then you cant pat yourself on the back for charging $5.50 a beer.

I then went next door to Vodka Rocks. Exactly the same thing. Virtually no one there. The crowd that was there were not dress up downtown bar people and the DJ was spinning techno garbage like it was New York City.

Know your audience. When The Lid, The Beach and Monty's did battle, hundreds of people would move back and forth depending on which club lowered/raised their price by $0.25. The latest goofy DJ name on the sign made little difference.