View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 5:50 AM

Lookout Mountain IV (or Photoshopping, 1911 style)

Here are three photos and one postcard of the Lookout Mountain Inn, all from 3940dxer's collection. I think there is something odd about the postcard, and would like to see what you all think.

The first two photos are looking northwest from Lookout Mountain towards the Lookout Mountain Inn, along what is now Appian Way. The second one is newer, as guard rails are now in place and the road seems more graded. The postcard...well let's see what you think.

1910:

1915:

And the postcard:

The two photographs were obviously taken from nearly the same point. I've marked the road and knoll's crest in red, and what looks like a sign or a pointing couple is circled in blue.

The postcard seems to have the same features, at least on the bottom half:

...but the upper half does not match at all. Instead it looks like a reverse view of the inn from the Wulff's Peak side:

The turquoise line is the ridge of "Cyprean Ridge," the purple line is Cyprean Drive, the pink arrow points to Lookout Mountain and the bandstand, now the hairpin turn on Appian Way. The maroon arrow on the last photo points to the Pavilion that was associated with the Inn, and the postcard still is wrong in other ways: Pavilion shown in wrong place; Bandstand looks much higher than the Inn despite the elevation of the Bandstand being 1360 feet and the Inn 1400 feet.

So from all of this I conclude the postcard was an early case of photoshopping, but for what reason it was done, I have no idea. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Lorendoc; Sep 29, 2013 at 6:56 AM.