View Single Post
Old Posted May 2, 2008, 3:43 PM
Closed account

I am going back to an earlier part of the thread for a bit because it's eaten at me for a couple days...

You know I really resent that the "these people are good intentioned" was even allowed to get brought into the arguement. Of COURSE they are good intentioned. No one here imagines that all the workers are handle-bar-moustache-twisting-cape-wearing-mincing dark lords bent on destroying all of RTD's well meaning plans. However, I NEVER ever learned in school that good intentions=good design.

But now I have to be VERY careful if I want to vent about something because I might hurt the designers' feelings. I can't stand that 16th is going to be open to cars.. can't say that though because the decision came from good intentions. I don't like that the plan has become a smear across the CPV instead of a central, focal station. Can't say that either.. because those changes came from good intentions as well. Other things I'ver really not liked about this whole process..they are all invalid now because everything I don't like came from good intentions.

Some people on here have written and written and written RTD and the people who are responsible for the planning of this project. Some have spent many many hours working on their own ideas, presented them here, revised them and waited patiently for responses that never came. Now they are reduced to just saying we have to wait and see because my input has been ignored. When someone vents that the people appear to 'not give two shits' about the process I think that's perfectly valid in this case. So is nearly all of the venting about the plethora of changes that have come since the plan passed in the first place. Is it going to change anything? On here of course not.. nothing does really. All of our cheering on of Tabor II, Spire, 4S and everything else doesn't change their design or get them to rise faster either, yet here we all are.

Of course the designers and engineers and planners and other people who are working on Union Station and Fastracks in general ACTUALLY care, and of COURSE they are well meaning, probably well trained, good people who don't piss on the Union Station Master plan before leaving at night to go home and have a dinner of roasted babies.

However, the companies that are their bosses are still, in my opinion (which aparently I have to add now all the time too because it's not understood that EVERYTHING on here is opinion) suspect. I just don't think you can gloss over the fact that E/W was granted a near monopoly on development in that part of downtown and they should be watched MUCH more closely than it seems like they have. And if they are good businesspeople then they really ought to press the advantage as far as they can. As far as I've seen the city and RTD have not done enough asking if whats good for E/W is good for the city. (just again - my opinion - and I'm sorry if the CEO's of E/W are crying right now because I know.. they are basically all good people).