View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLtoSA View Post
I am not sure who is confused; me or you.

I am and have been saying that San Antonio is the most viable American Market for an NFL team (outside of LA).

Maybe the 3rd time will be a charm:

I was not ranking "viability" by population. It was just a rough candidate list.

It is true that CSA and MSA are different classifications, but they can be used as a comparison; if you understand them.

For example, you can't use the San Fransisco-Oakland MSA in comparison to the Washington-Baltimore CSA. You would compare the San Jose-San Fransisco-Oakland CSA to the Washington-Baltimore CSA.

The whole point behind CSA's is to classify areas that have multiple cores.

Combined Statistical Areas defined:

"Commuting ties" is the key phrase. If a large enough percentage of the populations cross-commutes to the point that it is classified as a CSA, then I would say you can group the Market size.

Getting an NFL team would be great for the area. I am not sure if it will happen anytime soon, but I believe that San Antonio would have no issues supporting a franchise.

From a personal perspective, I would like to see San Antonio rally behind a possible MLS Franchise and/or MLB Franchise because they would also be great for the city...and they are more attainable.

And go support the Road Runners, that program has risen quickly. In the years to come it could/should be a perennial contender in CUSA. They have been averaging just under 30,000/game this year (29,744). In a couple of years I could see the average rise to 35,000-40,000/game. The dome is not perfect for UTSA, but it is a great home (being so far from campus hurts student attendance, however accessibility can boost other general public attendance). The dome lease also allows UTSA to use there Athletic Budget to improve other needed Student Athlete facilities without having to finance a 30,000 seat football stadium.

I understand what you are saying in regards to what constitutes a CSA, and how it is determined by the percentage of commuting patterns but that is based on employment figures, and it is not the same percentage that will travel for leisure activities such as a prime time sporting event such as the NFL. So looking at the raw population within a radius is the main factor, and not metro boundaries or other classifications such as TV market size.

When you mention the metros such as Raleigh Durham, Winston-Salem, Greensboro the triad, combined would have a similar population to the S.A.-Austin corridor and, that may very well be true but, that is too many cores to be looked at in the same light as the more unified Austin-SA corridor.

Regardless of all this, politics, will be the deciding factor if South/Central Texas will ever see NFL. By 2025 there will be over 5 million people in the 6 corridor counties
(Interstate 35) of the S.A/Austin corridor and, probably still no NFL.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Nov 15, 2013 at 6:12 AM.