View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 7:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchan View Post
It's an exceptionally fascinating place. My first post on SSP was on this thread because I was looking up info on the Walled City myself. China owned the city, but did not give a rats ass about it, and Hong Kong and the UK couldn't do much about it since they had no jurisdiction.

The city is a good case study in 'anarchy'. Despite the fact that nobody officially policed the place, 50000 people still decided that it was good enough to live in cramped, dank, sunlight-deprived conditions. Granted, a good chunk of them were probably illegal immigrants/criminals from China. Off hand, I'm guessing that the Triads were the unofficial police there and used their reputation to keep the place safe and stable enough to go about their own business, whatever it happened to be.
^from my reading of "City of Darkness: Life in Kowloon's Walled City", this was largely true.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?