View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
. The request says "construction of a six-level parking structure and land bridge"....

But besides that, it will be a crime if there will be no ground level retail. But being that it's a parking garage for the headquarters of a grocery chain, maybe I don't have to worry.
Hate to be a Debbie downer, and I have no inside information on the project, but retail seems unlikely. If they are going to the trouble of building a garage with a land bridge across Cesar Chavez, they likely want to maximize that parking for employees and/or customers.

Adding retail means not only taking away parking spaces for retail use, but the retail use also drives more parking needs that compete with the people you are trying to provide parking for in the first place.

However, it’s not all bad news. I will go out on a limb and guess that this could be the first step toward expanding the HEB that’s there. I think it has probably done better than they expected, and the only way to expand is to eat into their surface parking lot that doesn’t have a lot of extra spaces to lose. So build the parking garage first, and then expand the store.