View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 3, 2009, 3:54 AM
Chilean like a villian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie Teck View Post
I would be happy to see that happen, however I would also know that anyone foolish enough to invest would lose all their money.

Here's a reality check:

Mosaic stadium currently brings $211,000 in annual revenue. Please note: that's THOUSAND. 211 THOUSAND. Not million. It's approximately the same as what the Neil Balkwill centre generates and a small fraction of what the Sportplex, Northwest and Schmirler Centres bring in ($2.6 million combined)

I don't know what it costs to operate Mosaic stadium in total, but event cleanup alone costs $21,000. Lights, maintenance, painting, bathroom repairs, staff, and other incidentals probably eats up a good portion of the remainder. It's probably a close to break even situation.

So the current stadium which was long since paid off can barely turn a buck. It has no mortgage and is utterly cheap to operate. Does anyone seriously expect a $350 million facility to do anything except lose megatons of money?

Interest on $350 million alone would be about $24-25 million, or nearly half of the city's $52 million police budget. Does anyone here want to cut the police force in half just to pay the interest on this dome stadium?

How much of the fire department, schools, and library budgets will have to be cut to afford the heating bill?

Is anyone here interested in jacking up property tax rates even further? Regina is already among the highest taxed cities in Canada by a July 2009 survey.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use that land for something that might generate revenue in the form of property taxes?

Sorry but it's not even a close question as to whether we can afford this. We simply can't.
WOW, I can't believe you are actually using numbers from an old outdoor basically ONE PURPOSE football stadium and comparing it to a brand new MULTI-PURPOSE facility. The whole argument FOR a domed stadium is its MUTLI-USE, meaning multiple revenue resources, meaning it wont be shut down for practically 6 months of the year. The fact of the matter is that we can't justify spending millions just to benefit one CFL team so instead we will spend more to benefit many more people and events and not just football.