View Single Post
Old Posted May 25, 2008, 9:53 AM

I used to live in Lexington, so I was excited to hear about this project. Most of downtown Lexington is badly in need of something new and exciting. I think this building will look a little out of place, just because it's reasonably attractive and modern. lol. Every time there is any sort of new proposal in Lexington the "historic preservationists" come out in force. The buildings they are concerned about saving are nothing unique or remarkable and actually quite rundown looking. Lexington is a very conservative/cautious town and change scares a lot of people.

I do wonder if Lexington can support a building of this size. I know downtown is still struggling mightily and I wonder if one building is enough to turn things around and generate excitement. Many people in Lexington still take a skeptical view of anything they would consider as "big city". I'd be interested to hear what type of economic research has been done. What are the occupancy rates of other hotels in the downtown area (is there a need for another)? How will this draw people, conventions and money to downtown? What is the current demand for high-priced, downtown living? How many businesses would be interested in paying the high rent to occupy a space like this?

I think these are all legitimate concerns. Hopefully this can get built and be successful. I'd really like to see downtown Lexington start moving forward a bit. It's currently a very quiet, stodgy place for a major college town with a growing metro.