View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 2:59 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Most museums have realized that static displays where you simply stare and read information have been supplanted by the Internet. There has to be a reason to go there in person that adds value. This also explains why locals don't go frequently to some places. Unless the experience changes from one visit to the next, what is the point of going frequently?

To me, the most important part of the Manitoba Museum project is the prospect of getting a full-on Science Centre next door. The existing Science Gallery in the basement is fine for what is there, but it is not exactly a major destination. I'm sure the day to day bills for a new Science Centre would be paid by visiting science classes, but think of the possibilities. A family wondering if they should book a trip to Winnipeg would probably have one major reason for wanting to go but would look to see if there are enough other attractions to justify the trip. A well-done Science Centre can be the highlight of any trip with kids from San Francisco to Sudbury.
There's a pretty cool science centre in St Paul which I was at in the spring. It definitely seems more geared towards kids but something along those lines would be pretty great in Winnipeg. Add a section that documents Winnipeg's contribution in science fields to keep the museum aspect going and you're golden. Didn't some Winnipeg-born physicist just get awarded a Nobel Prize?
Federalist #10, James Madison