View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Incandenza View Post
Because it's boring. Because it lacks anything to draw one's attention in. Because the materials (assuming a glass curtain wall and maybe steek mullions or whatever) lack the sort of heft and depth that lend a building a sense of solidity and dignity. Because sticking a vertical spine on the back doesn't change the fact that's it's essentially just another modernist box. Because I don't like modernist boxes. Because the design does not engage the imagination. Because there is no delicacy or decoration or sense of interaction between the mundane and the ethereal that marks great skyscrapers. Because minimalism is depressing.
Well that's a lot of reasons not to like it.
It is difficult to argue about taste and I won't. I also don't like boxes except when they are tall and thin which is the case with this tower. I also like its monolithic slab in the back and the way it stands in the sky. From what I red, I know that we have one thing in common: we particularly appreciate postmodernism. However, I also believe that contrast is important to get a vigorous and vibrant skyline. What is your favorite NY skyscraper built in last two decades?