View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 7:36 PM
TL;DR

I walked around the tower last night and used the public elevator from Lower Field Drive up to Upper Wacker level.

The public space around the tower is really nicely done, at least the parts that are completed. If you walk over by Chandler/Shoreham, it's night and day. The streets are barren and way too wide, it's a sterile concrete canyon. Pedestrian sidewalks are poorly planned, crosswalks are not logical or ADA-accessible, etc.

Walk in front of Vista and the streets narrow down to a sensible width, there are high-quality pavers and landscaping, the sidewalks and paths are logical and comfortable, etc. I love the overlook above Field Blvd looking south over the Lakeshore East park. Awesome urban vista, reminded me of something you might see in a much hillier city. Hopefully benches are installed soon, I'd love to post up there on a nice day with a coffee and a book. Of course, we'll see if this holds up after a decade of Chicago winters and Chicago drivers... but this what all of LSE should have been like. The careful design even extends to Lower Field Drive where a similar, great pedestrian path was installed linking the Lakeshore East park to the Riverwalk across Lower Sub Wacker. I never thought it was possible to beautify the entrance to the auto pound, but they managed to do that.