View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 9:30 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
I think the number one user of water is irrigation, so maybe not irrigating the desert might be a wonderful idea if we wanted to save some water.
In the future I believe a lot of food production will be in a factory-like setting where evaporation and humidity can be more easily controlled. We may still produce, say, wheat or corn in easily irrigated areas or places where rainfall means irrigation is not even needed. But there will not be much reason to try to eke out food production in marginal areas, aside from distribution problems. In fact this is probably already the case.

The world population will start to fall soon. In 2100, I don't think we will have "third world countries" as we understand them today.

African GDP growth. High growth in countries that are poster children for desertification (e.g. Chad):

Source

Power generation will mostly be nuclear, fission or fusion. Either the US and Europe will lead this or they'll go down the wrong path and China will. Either way humanity will have far greater energy resources at its disposal than today, and many applications of electrical power that seem too expensive today won't be.

Last edited by someone123; Jul 30, 2020 at 9:41 PM.