View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 8:09 PM

There has to be some bias of location. Everyone says "my city is the largest gay city outside New York and San Fransico" based on their personal observations, just like everyone says their dog is more intelligent than most other dogs. These are observations made without really clear statistical backing.

I think it would stand to reason that larger cities have a greater gay population because they contain more straight people, and we need straight people to produce gay babies.

Whether that population is concentrated in a highly-visible neighborhood or dispersed throuought the generally "liberal" areas is going to depend on the culture of the city. I'd guess that gay populations in more conservative cities are more likely to concentrate in one bubble therefore be more highly visible. So being in a conservative state (like Texas) means your gayborhood is more visible because people flood in from the suburbs and concentrate in Austin and Houston. Same is probably true from Atlanta.

I know walking around Denver would give you the impression that way more than "ten percent" of the population is gay, because people flood in from all of Colorado, from New Mexico, Kansas, Wyoming, Oklahoma, etc. But we also have moderately gay-friendly suburbs, so there are more places to go to. Perhaps in Utah you really have to concentrate in Salt Lake because the suburban parts of the state are more hostile.