View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 5:40 AM

Beale's Cut

HossC's recent post on the Harrington trip to Yosemite included the following:

...which looked familiar. "Prescott Pass" did not ring any bells. But I recognized it as a place 3940dxer and Mrs. 3940dxer and I had visited on an exploration a few months ago:

(apologies for the bad cell phone picture).

Google Earth

I just wrote a long post about Beale's Cut only to see that it was already thoroughly discussed last year by Tourmaline and others. Long post deleted.

I will (re)mention this pretty amazing web site, http://www.elsmerecanyon.com/bealesc...scutmovies.htm, has links to clips of movies made at Beale's Cut.

A piece of evidence that the first picture was indeed Beale's Cut can be seen by checking the dates on the rest of the pictures at the California State Library. The party started out on June 11, 1901 from Los Angeles and camped in Burbank that night. The "Prescott Pass" photo is dated June 12, and on June 14, there is a photo taken at the "de Cellis ranch" where the travelers had a "genuine Spanish supper." This was likely near the Tejon pass: Eulogio de Celis had been granted a patent to the Rancho Ex-Mission de San Fernando in 1873, which lands he had acquired in 1846 from the Mexican government. So the timing is right for the Harringtons to have been at Beale's Cut on the 12th.