View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 1:56 PM
BANNED

Navy Days in Long Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
Wow, that's an awesome castle er!

As far as castle-inspired buildings go, I've always been partial toward the Pacific Coast Club (PCC) in Long Beach. I know we've seen it here before, but I searched and only found one post with a couple photos that have the PCC in the distance: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=438

I took the next five photos in, I think it was 1988, when I was working in downtown Long Beach and heard that the PCC would be torn down:

Looking across Ocean Blvd at the north side; the cornerstone is behind the big NO TRESPASSING sign.

Vnless my thinking is favlty, any elvcidation here wovld be vndve.
Pacific Coast Club:

When I was stationed at the Long Beach Naval Base in the 1960s I worked for an Admiral. He had a large military staff and a Marine chauffeur.

The old Admiral used to spend evenings drinking at the Pacific Coast Club Bar. At the end of the evening he'd be so drunk he could hardly walk. His kindly Marine driver would pick him up at the sidewalk and take him back to his home on the base. In the photo below I'm on the beach just a few blocks from the Pacific Coast Club. A month after this was taken, I was transferred to Norfolk, VA.

Taken by my friend Roger.